Hi everyone, and happy Spring Term!
We’re having our first meeting of the term on Monday the 8th at 3pm in Cramer Hall room 317L. It’s the conference room adjacent to the department lobby. This term we’ll be talking about induction and what an active member of the PSU Psi Chi chapter. We also have a number of officer positions still open, so if you’re interested please let us know! Hope your term is starting off well!
Kim M. (President)
1. Monday, February 4th we are having an event in cooperation with SANE, the advising department, and the psychology club! It is 4-6pm in SMSU 294. Please join us for some campus resource connection, food, drinks, and a panel discussion about love and sex!
2. Elections are coming up soon! This is your chance to make your mark on this chapter. Please feel free to email any of the existing officers for details about what they’ve been doing within their role in the chapter. If you can’t find their email, send me one and I’ll happily get you connected.
3. Meetings have resumed! Please be sure to check your inboxes for listerve updates concerning meeting times and locations.
Thank you all for your continued work with this chapter and I hope your term is going well!
Congrats on making it through finals everyone! We will not hold meetings during winter break, so have a fun and safe time off from PSU. See you in winter term!
Psi Chi has been pretty active this term, despite the lack of updates. We successfully hosted our first event last week and we are working on another event to take place in early November. We have also been communicating with other psychology groups on campus and all of us, (SANE, Psychology Advising, Psychology Club, and Psi Chi), are planning a big event for February.
In other news, we’ve had a couple of changes to the officers for this year, so please check out the list of officers under the about tab. Meetings have been taking place on Thursdays at 4pm in CH364, and all have been going smoothly.
All of the officers are excited about the year and we look forward to serving a year with all of you. If you have questions feel free to send an email to one of us!
Kim Moorhead (President)
Psi Chi Members,
We’re pleased to announce our formal Spring Induction ceremony for new members is scheduled to take place at the Old Church at 1422 Southwest 11th Ave Portland, 97201 on Wednesday May 30th from 5-7pm. Our Spring Inductions are a big time of celebration because it often marks the completion of undergraduate degrees for many members and current officers officially give the reins to a new year’s set of officers.
Who can participate
All members are encouraged to attend the celebration. Welcome our new members and celebrate the conclusion of your Spring Term or possibly your undergraduate career at PSU! We are also seeking volunteers to help with cleanup after the ceremony. Please email Dayna, firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help with the event.
New members being inducted and included in the ceremony need to have passed our qualification checks and have successfully made your one time dues payment. You should receive an email directly confirming your invitation and must RSVP to the PSI CHI Secretary, Dayna Sanders at email@example.com.
In addition, we are extending the Spring ceremony to members inducted in the Fall by request. If you would like to participate in the more formal Spring induction please RSVP (see above) to confirm a spot.
What to expect
The event will start at 5:00pm with snacks, some beverages, and socializing . We’ll kick the ceremony off with a couple of speeches from professors and current officers. We then have a candle light ceremony and call our new members and new officers forward to recognize them. Afterward, we move the celebration to a local restaurant such as Rogue at the PSU campus. There is no dress code, but it is a networking and recognition event so many participants like to look nice.
Thank you very much!! We hope to see you there!
LOOKING FOR RESEARCH EXPERIENCE IN PSYCHOLOGY?
Become a research assistant involved in community-based social health research with a group of undergraduate and graduate students.
Potential to earn college credit supervised by Dr. Cynthia Mohr.
- Cultivate critical experience for graduate school.
- Collaborate on professional presentations and publications.
- Develop quantitative and qualitative data skills.
- Work with an exciting and energetic team of psychology students.
Our lab is currently exploring opportunities related to daily relationship processes and support, alcohol consumption and drinking contexts, health and dietary behaviors, and stress and coping as they pertain to college, military, and nurse populations.
HOW TO APPLY:
We are looking for candidates with high levels of motivation, the ability to work in a team environment, the ability to commit to 9 hours a week for a minimum of one year, and who have successfully completed Research Methods (PSY 321). Working knowledge with Microsoft Excel and Word are preferred.
If you are interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following materials:
(1) Professional resume or curriculum vitae (please include GPA and grades received for psychology coursework)
(2) Provide contact information for two references, and
(3) Cover letter describing a) relevant customer service/work experience and computer experience, b) how our research would be a good match with your qualifications, and c) why you are interested in working on community-based research.
*Note: Deadline for applications is MAY 15, 2012.
Hey Psi Chi,
It looks as though our first meeting of the Spring term is set of Tuesday the 10th at 4:15 in CH 364! We’re going to try and hold them every two weeks at the same time and in the same place.
There is a poll active on the member’s only forum as of this moment that is crucially important for Psi Chi’s future. All members are encouraged, dare I say compelled, to sign in and let us know if they’ll be able to help out with an interesting fundraising opportunity this summer. Click here to be transported.
We need to get a sense of participation PRONTO.
We’ve got two new members of the 2012-2013 executive to announce! We’re very excited to say that Jason Leonhard will be taking over as Alumni Liaison and that Mary Mehan will be our first ever Faculty Liaison. We’re looking forward to seeing how much the extra outreach efforts will pay off for Psi Chi members in the new school year.